Any medication which allays discomfort as an opiate or narcotic anything that calms disturbed thoughts
- Serving to assuage pain relaxing
- with the capacity of relieving pain
- a medication accustomed relieve pain
- Serving to assuage discomfort; soothing.
- Any medicine which allays pain, as an opiate or narcotic; anything that calms disturbed thoughts.
A source of soothing comfort.
1540s, from Medieval Latin anodynus "pain-removing, allaying discomfort," from Latin anodynus "painless," from Greek anodynos "free from discomfort," from an- "without" (see an- (1)) + odyne "pain," a word possibly from PIE root *ed- "to eat" (source of Lithuanian edžioti "to devour, bite," edžiotis "to suffer discomfort;" see eat). In old slang, regularly a euphemism for "death;" such as anodyne necklace "hangman's noose."
(a.) Serving to assuage discomfort; relaxing.
- (a.) Any medicine which allays discomfort, as an opiate or narcotic; something that soothes disturbed emotions.
Morphine is the greatest anodyne we possess, and no drug yet discovered equals it in pain-relieving power.