When taken in an overdose paraldehyde kills by producing respiratory failure.
On the 4th of December 1893, having been accidentally given an overdose of chloral, he died at Hindhead.
If taken in overdose or in a concentrated form tartaric acid produces severe gastro-enteritis.
Ordinary doses have no effect upon the temperature but in overdose the temperature rises during a convulsion.
Small doses increase the sensibility of touch, sight and hearing; large doses cause twitching of the muscles and difficulty in swallowing; while in overdose violent convulsions are produced.