Shortly afterwards Sir Ronald Thomson left Persia (he died on the 15th of November 1888), and Arthur (afterwards Sir Arthur) Nicolson was appointed charg daffaires.
After six years' theological study, Jamieson was licensed to preach in 1789 and became pastor of an Anti-burgher congregation in Forfar; and in 1797 he was called to the Anti-burgher church in Nicolson Street, Edinburgh.
In 1905 Sir Arthur Nicolson was sent as ambassador to Russia, where he remained until 1910, and in the latter year returned to the Foreign Office, being until 1916, when he retired, permanent Under-secretary for Foreign Affairs.
The Royal blind asylum at Powburn in its earlier days tenanted humbler quarters in Nicolson Street.
The museum and lecture-rooms of the Royal College of Surgeons occupy a handsome classical building in Nicolson Street.
Variety entertainments are also in vogue, and in Nicolson Street and elsewhere there are good music halls.
From 1753 till within a short period of his death, which took place on the 18th of June 1788, he preached regularly in Nicolson Street church, which was constantly filled with an audience of two thousand persons.