The ancient parish church of St Mary Magdalen retains Norman work in the chancel, which terminates in an eastern apse.
The church of St Mary Magdalen and St Denis is a large Perpendicular building.
It was erected in 1836-1841 on the site of the convent of St Mary Magdalen and escaped the conflagration of 1842.
The dedication to Mary Magdalen was no doubt derived from the hospital at Winchester of which the founder had been master.
It is the object of an ancient and famous pilgrimage due to the tradition that Mary, sister of the Virgin, and Mary, mother of James and John, together with their black servant Sara, Lazarus, Martha, Mary Magdalen and St Maximin fled thither to escape persecution in Judaea.
He died on the r rth of May 1486, and was buried in the chantry chapel of St Mary Magdalen behind the high altar in Winchester cathedral, which he had erected in his lifetime.
An arched opening in this front reveals the central group of eight figures surrounding the tomb, that of Mary Magdalen in the foreground being remarkably lifelike and expressive.