It was taken by Bolivar in 1815, but was surrendered to the royalists in the same year.
In the meanwhile the affairs of Colombia had taken aturn which demanded the presence of Bolivar in his own country.
The principal squares are Cathedral, Santa Ana, Bolivar and Lesseps.
Soon afterwards Bolivar left the army to proceed to the coast, and the final battle of Ayacucho (Dec. 9, 1824) was fought by his second in command, General Sucre.
The distance from Port of Spain to Ciudad Bolivar is 299 m.
This view being confirmed by a resolution of congress, although it was not a unanimous one, Bolivar decided to resume his functions, and he repaired to Bogota to take the oaths.
The seat of government was also transferred provisionally to Rosario de Cucuta, on the frontier of the two provinces, and Bolivar again took the field.
There is steam connexion between Ciudad Bolivar and the island of Trinidad.
Accordingly, having entrusted the government to a council nominated by himself, with Santa Cruz at its head, Bolivar set out from Lima in September 1826, and hastening to Bogota, arrived there on the 14th of November.
In the meanwhile Santa Martha had fallen into the hands of the royalists, and Bolivar was ordered to the relief of the place.