In the western third irrigation has been tried, in the earlier years unsuccessfully; in all Kansas, in 1899, there were 23,620 acres irrigated, of which 8939 were in Finney and 7071 in Kearney county.
In 1877-1878 Denis Kearney (1847-1907), an Irish drayman and demagogue of considerable force and daring, headed the discontented.
In 1900 three cities had a population above 25,000 - Omaha, 102,555; Lincoln, 40,169; South Omaha, 26,001 - and seven others had a population between 8000 and 8000 - Beatrice, Grand Island, Nebraska City, Fremont, Hastings, Kearney and York.
There are four state normal schools-one at Peru (opened 1867), one at Kearney (1905), one at Wayne (originally private; purchased by the state in 1909) and one, provided for by the legislature of 1909, situated in the north-western part of the state.
Were for the three cities which in 1900 had a population of at least 8000) in 1900, and 81.7 in 1905; the percentage for these cities being 53.3 in 1900 and 43.5 in 1905 for South Omaha, 29.2 in 1900 and 34.9 in 1905 for Omaha, and 2.1 in 1900 and 3.4 in 1905 for Lincoln; Nebraska City, Fremont, Grand Island, Beatrice, Hastings, Plattsmouth and Kearney were the only other manufacturing centres of any importance.
State penal and charitable institutions include soldiers' and sailors' homes at Grand Island and Milford, an Institute for the Blind at Nebraska City (1875), an Institute for the Deaf and Dumb at Omaha (1867), an Institute for Feeble Minded Youth at Beatrice (1885), an Industrial School for Juvenile Delinquents (boys) at Kearney (1879), a Girls' Industrial School at Geneva (1881), an Industrial Home at Milford (1887) for unfortunate and homeless girls guilty of a first offence, asylums or hospitals for the insane at Lincoln (1869), Norfolk (1886) and Hastings (1887), an Orthopedic Hospital (1905) for crippled, ruptured and deformed children and a state penitentiary (1867), both at Lincoln.