In the year 1757 the monopoly of opium cultivation in India passed into the hands of the East India Company through the victory of Clive at Plassey.
Lord Clive quitted India for the third and last time in 1767.
In 1761 he was promoted to be member of council, under the presidency of Mr Vansittart, who had been introduced by Clive from.
To the south is Claremont Palace, built by the great Lord Clive (1769) on the site of a mansion of Sir John Vanbrugh.
Service of the East India company and sailed for Fort St David; here he showed himself very industrious, made the acquaintance of Robert Clive and rose rapidly from one position to another.
The place, however, was abandoned without a struggle and Clive took possession of the fortress.
In attempting to reorganize and purify the company's service, Clive undertook a task yet more difficult than to partition the valley of the Ganges.
The organizing genius of Dupleix everywhere overshadowed the native imagination, and the star of Clive had scarcely yet risen above the horizon.
The members of the council received the following amounts: Mr Drake, the governor, and Colonel Clive 280,000 rupees each; and Mr Becher, Mr Watts and Major Kilpatrick 240,000 rupees each.
In the same year Clive despatched a force southwards under Colonel Forde, which captured Masulipatam from the French, and permanently established British influence throughout the Northern Circars, and at the court of Hyderabad.