A well-preserved gateway of red sandstone and portions of two towers of the castle are included in the buildings of the present gaol, and the old parish church of St Peter contains some interesting monuments, amongst them being the altar tomb (of the 6th century) of Sir Rhys ap Thomas, K.G., and his wife, which was removed hither for safety at the Reformation from the desecrated church of the neighbouring Priory of St John.
The Portuguese were expelled by Fasilidas, but his castle was built, by Indian workmen, under the superintendence of Abyssinians who had learned something of architecture from the Portuguese adventurers, helped possibly by Portuguese still in the country.
On the Sonnenberg (1600 ft.) lie the ruins of the castle of Trifels, in which Richard Ceeur de Lion was imprisoned in 1193.
Hunted to the ground and broken-hearted, Frederick expired at the end of 1250 in his Apulian castle of Fiorentino.
There are ruins of the castle constructed in the 9th or 10th century, in which the antipope Anacletus II.
In the neighbourhood are the ruins of Law Castle, Crosbie Castle and Portincross Castle, the last, dating from the 13th century, said to be a seat of the Stuart kings.
He saw only warriors on the main floor of the castle and ascended with increasing pain to the floor where Kris would be.
In front of the castle proper are three ditches, the innermost of which can be reached from the interior of the castle by a complicated system of underground passages.
The castle was restored in modern times.
From Giant's Castle to 1'lont-auxSources, in which, forsaking their general direction, the Drakensberg run S.E.