clear of treatment or anxiety therefore cheerful light-hearted
- (usually followed closely by `of') without due idea or consideration
- marked by not enough interest or consideration or forethought or thoroughness; not mindful
- effortless and unstudied
- free of attention or anxiety. for this reason, cheerful; light-hearted.
- Having no treatment; perhaps not taking ordinary or good care; negligent; unconcerned; heedless; inattentive; unmindful; irrespective.
- Without thought or function; without because of attention; without awareness of rule or system; unstudied; inconsiderate; spontaneous; rash; as, a reckless place; a careless expression.
- Not obtaining treatment; uncared for.
adj., adv. 1) negligent. 2) the contrary of cautious. A careless work can lead to responsibility for problems to other people.
Old English carleas "free from anxiety; unconcerned," from treatment (letter.) + -less; a compound most likely from Proto-Germanic. Original sensory faculties extinct by mid-17c.; primary modern-day definition "not attending to, inattentive, maybe not taking because of care" is first recorded 1560s (in carelessly).
The tea trade of Wen-chow-Fu, formerly important, has declined owing to careless cultivation.