To cut in pieces to cut fully out from
- a large part or side of something an item a fragment a part
- the rear of a saddle seat
- A corner or edge of any such thing; a bit; a fragment; a part.
- The upwardly projecting rear part of saddle, reverse to the pommel.
- To cut in pieces; to cut-out from.
very early 14c., "a component, a percentage," in addition "a section cut right out of any such thing" (mid-15c.), from Old North French cantel "part, piece" (Old French chantel, contemporary French chanteau), from Medieval Latin cantellus, diminutive of cantus "corner" (see cant (n.2)).