A song esp just a little track or hymn
- a hymn produced by the Bible
- A song; esp. somewhat song or hymn.
- The tune of Songs or tune of Solomon, one of many publications of the Old Testament.
- A canto or unit of a poem
- A psalm, hymn, or passageway from Bible, organized for chanting in church service.
"quick hymn," early 13c., from Latin canticulum "slightly track," diminutive of canticum "tune" (also a scene in Roman comedy enacted by one individual and followed by music and dancing), from cantus (see chant (v.)).