The act or procedure for making mathematical computations or of calculating results
- Of or with respect to mathematical computations performing or able to do mathematical computations
- acting with a certain goal
- of determine
- Of or related to mathematical calculations; carrying out or able to do mathematical calculations.
- fond of contrivance or forethought; forecasting; scheming; since, an awesome calculating personality.
- The work or process of making mathematical computations or of estimating results.
1710, "undertaking calculations," present participle adjective from determine. Meaning "shrewdly or selfishly pursuing benefit" is attested from c.1810.
The best general method of calculating logarithms consists, in its simplest form, in resolving the number whose logarithm is required into factors of the form I - i r n, where n is one of the nine digits, and making use of subsidiary tables of logarithms of factors of this form.