A wooden club soled with brass
- Of or pertaining to brass obtaining the nature look or stiffness of metal
- resembling the sound of a brass instrument
- unrestrained by convention or propriety
- tastelessly showy
- Of or pertaining to brass; obtaining the nature, appearance, or hardness, of metal.
- Impudent; impudently strong.
"impudent," 1570s, from metal + -y (2). Compare brazen. Sense of "debased and pretentious" is from 1580s, from brass as compared with gold; sense of "strident and synthetic" is from 1865. Related: Brassily; brassiness.
(a.) Of or related to brass; having the nature, look, or hardness, of metal.
- (a.) Impudent; impudently strong.
Pyrite may be prepared artificially by gently heating ferrous sulphide with sulphur, or as brassy octahedra and cubes by slowly heating an intimate mixture of ferric oxide, sulphur and salammoniac. It is insoluble in dilute acids, but dissolves in nitric acid with separation of sulphur.