A cow or calf familiarly so-called
- Ornamented with bosses studded
- offensively self-assured or directed at exercising frequently unwarranted energy
- Ornamented with employers; studded.
- A cow or calf; -- familiarly so called.
1540s, "inflammation, projecting and curved, embellished with employers" from boss (n.2). Meaning "domineering, partial to buying folks about" is recorded 1882, from supervisor (n.1) + -y (2). As a typical cow name it represents Latin bos "cow" (see cow (n.)).
(a.) Ornamented with employers; studded.
- (letter.) A cow or calf; -- familiarly so named.
Don't get bossy with me, Mr. Marsh.