an assault upon a fortress or strengthened city with shells hot-shot rockets etc the work of throwing bombs and shot into a city or strengthened place
- the fast and continuous distribution of linguistic interaction (talked or written)
- the act (or a case) of exposing a body or compound to the influence of high-energy particles (as electrons or alpha rays)
- the heavy fire of artillery to saturate an area in place of strike a certain target
- an attack by falling bombs
- An attack upon a fortress or fortified town, with shells, hot-shot, rockets, etc.; the work of tossing bombs and chance into a town or strengthened spot.
(letter.) An attack upon a fortress or fortified town, with shells, hot-shot, rockets, etc.; the act of throwing bombs and shot into a town or strengthened spot.
Termor de on the Scheldt and Diest on the Dender are retained as nominally fortified positions, but neither could resist a regular bombardment for more than a few hours, as their casemates are not bomb-proof.