A guard or set of protections to safeguard or protect the individual a lifeguard
- someone who escorts and safeguards a prominent person
- a small grouping of males who escort and protect some crucial person
- A guard to protect or protect anyone; a lifeguard.
- Retinue; attendance; following.
1735, "retinue, escort," collective singular, from human anatomy + shield (letter.). Attested 1861 as "a soldier for the bodyguard."
- minder [coll.]
(letter.) A guard to guard or defend anyone; a lifeguard.
- (letter.) Retinue; attendance; following.
For his wars a larger force than his early bodyguard was required, and the Chronicler gives an account of the way in which an army of nearly 300,000 was raised and held by David's thirty heroes (i Chron.