A blot or place as of color or of ink specifically a sizable or irregular place In addition Fig as a moral blotch
- level with places or blotches of different shade or tones of shade as if stained
- an irregularly formed area
- A blot or place, by color or of ink; specially a sizable or unusual area. Additionally Fig.; as, a moral blotch.
- a big pustule, or a coarse eruption.
c.1600, possibly a blend of blot and botch or plot.
(a.) A blot or spot, at the time of color or of ink; specifically a sizable or irregular place. Additionally Fig.; because, a moral blotch.
- (a.) A big pustule, or a coarse eruption.
Both, like the majority of herrings, are greenish on the back and silvery on the sides, but they are distinguished from the other European species Clupea by the presence of a large blackish blotch behind the gill-opening, which is succeeded by a series of several other similar spots along the middle of the side of the body.