A plaintive cry of or that way of a sheep
- to help make the noise of or one like this of a sheep to cry like a sheep or calf
- cry plaintively
- talk whiningly
- the noise of sheep or goats (or any sound resembling this)
- to help make the sound of, or one that way of, a sheep; to weep like a sheep or calf.
- A plaintive cry of, or like that of, a sheep.
Old English bl
- c.1500, from bleat (v.).
(v. i.) To make the noise of, or one that way of, a sheep; to cry like a sheep or calf.
- (letter.) A plaintive weep of, or that way of, a sheep.
An agonizing bleat from the next stall indicated all was not well there.