- expletives used informally as intensifiers
- of Blast
- Blighted; withered.
- Confounded; accursed; detestable.
- lease open by an explosive.
"stricken by malignant forces (natural or supernatural), cursed, blighted," 1550s, from blast (v.), with the notion of "balefully breathed upon." In the sense of "cursed, damned" it is attested from 1680s. Meaning "drunk or stoned" dates from 1972 (blast (v.) "smoke marijuana" attested from 1959).
(imp. & p. p.) of Blast
- (a.) Blighted; withered.
- (a.) Confounded; accursed; detestable.
- (a.) lease open by an explosive.
These pillars are then filled with blast holes which are fired simultaneously, permitting the whole block of ground to the level above to drop. A floor is then reopened in this fallen ore, leaving pillars for temporary support which are blasted out as before.