To signify by some noticeable item to show by indications or tokens
- be a signal for or an indicator of
- indicate, as with a sign or an omen
- To symbolize by some visible object; to exhibit by signs or tokens.
- To foreshow by present indications; to point some thing future by whatever sometimes appears or known; as, a dark cloud usually betokens a storm.
late 12c., from be- + Old English tacnian "to symbolize," from tacn "indication" (see token). Associated: Betokened; betokening.
(v. t.) To represent by some visible item; showing by indications or tokens.
- (v. t.) To foreshow by current signs; to point some thing future by what is seen or understood; as, a dark cloud often betokens a storm.
Seemed to the wearied English to betoken the advance of a great reserve, and in a few minutes the whole English army broke and fled in disorder down the slope.