Of or with respect to the Bengali language as Bengali poetry
- of or regarding or characteristic of Bengal or its men and women
- (Hinduism) a part of a people living in Bangladesh and West Bengal (primarily Hindus)
- an ethnic group speaking Bengali and surviving in Bangladesh and eastern India
- a Magadhan language talked because of the Bengali people; the official language of Bangladesh and Bengal
- The language spoken in Bengal.
(n.) The language spoken in Bengal.
Just as two centuries earlier the Jesuits at Madura, in the extreme south, composed works in Tamil, which are still acknowledged as classical by native authors, so did the Baptist mission at Serampur, near Calcutta, first raise Bengali to the rank of a literary dialect.