hawaii or manner of a barbarian decreased civilization
- the quality of becoming shockingly harsh and inhumane
- a brutal barbarous savage work
- hawaii or method of a barbarian; lack of society.
- Cruelty; ferociousness; inhumanity.
- A barbarous or harsh act.
- Barbarism; impurity of speech.
1560s, "want of society," from Latin barbarus (see barbarian) + -ity. Meaning "savage cruelty" is taped from 1680s.
(n.) The state or manner of a barbarian; not enough society.
- (letter.) Cruelty; ferociousness; inhumanity.
- (letter.) A barbarous or harsh work.
- (letter.) Barbarism; impurity of address.
Under the command of the lord of Lumbres, the lord of Treslong, and William de la Marck (lord of Lumey) they spread terror and alarm along the coast, seized much plunder, and in revenge for Alva's cruelty committed acts of terrible barbarity upon the priests and monks and catholic officials, as well as upon the crews of the vessels that fell into their hands.