The movement of water propelled backward by the propeller paddle-wheel or oars of a boat
- to wash the oil from wool after combing
- the flow of air which driven backwards by an aircraft propeller
- the consequences of a conference (especially a catastrophic occasion)
- the revolution that spreads behind a boat because moves ahead
- To clean the oil from (wood) after combing.
1876, "motion of a receeding wave," from back (adj.) + clean (letter.).
defines a revolution that reflects back into sea. (sport: browsing)
(v. i.) to completely clean the oil from (timber) after combing.
The last backwash of the movement from the west occurs: a backwash which serves to solve the apparently insuperable diplomatic difficulties and ends the military movement of that period of history.