What your history is from.
1670s, from right back (adj.) + surface (n.); initial feeling ended up being theatrical, later placed on artwork. Figurative sense is very first attested 1854.
understate the value or top-notch
- hawaii of the environment in which a scenario is present
- fairly unimportant or hidden accompanying situation
- extraneous indicators which can be mistaken for the phenomenon to be observed or measured
- the element of a scene (or photo) that lies behind things inside foreground
- information that is essential to understanding a situation or problem
- someone's social history: earlier knowledge or education
- (computer system technology) the area of this screen in visual user interfaces against which icons and house windows look
- scenery hung at back of stage
- Ground inside back or behind, or perhaps in the length, as opposed to the foreground, or the surface right in front.
- The space that will be behind and subordinate to a portrait or set of numbers.
- Anything behind, offering as a foil; since, the statue had a history of red hangings.
- a location in obscurity or retirement, or away from picture.
(Ger. Hintergrund) In Husserl: The nexus of objects and objective good sense explicitly posited and any object; the target horizon. The perceptual background is a component for the whole history in this broad good sense. See Horizon. -- D.C .
(n.) surface in the backside or behind, or in the length, instead of the foreground, or perhaps the ground ahead.
- (n.) The area which will be at the rear of and subordinate to a portrait or group of figures.
- (n.) such a thing behind, offering as a foil; as, the statue had a background of red hangings.
- (letter.) Someplace in obscurity or your retirement, or off sight.
But when the Agape on one side and paganism on the other receded into a dim past, owing to the enhanced sacrosanctity of the Eucharist and because of the severe edicts of the emperor Theodosius and his successors, the psychological background fell away, and the Eucharist was left isolated and hanging in the air.