A bacchanal a drunken reveler
- Of or related to the festival of Bacchus relating to or given to reveling and drunkenness
- made use of of riotously drunken merrymaking
- Of or with respect to the festival of Bacchus; relating to or fond of reveling and drunkenness.
- A bacchanal; a drunken reveler.
1560s; see bacchanalia + -an. As a noun from 1610s.
(a.) Of or related to the festival of Bacchus; regarding or given to reveling and drunkenness.
- (n.) A bacchanal; a drunken reveler.
For the creation of a great navy, indulging publicly Bacchanalian revels and boisterous amusements not at all to the taste of his pious countrymen, and appearing in Moscow as Orthodox tsar only on great ceremonial occasions.