Perversely within the wrong-way
- Odd; out of order; perverse.
- incorrect, or perhaps not popular; clumsy; sinister; because, the awk end of a pole (the but-end).
- Clumsy in overall performance or ways; unhandy; not dexterous; embarrassing.
- Perversely; inside wrong way.
mid-15c., "turned the wrong manner," from Old Norse afugr "turned backwards, wrong, contrary," from Proto-Germanic *afug-, from PIE *apu-ko-, from root *apo- "off, away" (see apo-). Obsolete since 17c.
(a.) Odd; out-of-order; perverse.
- (a.) Wrong, or not widely used; clumsy; sinister; because, the awk end of a rod (the but-end).
- (a.) Clumsy in performance or manners; unhandy; perhaps not dexterous; awkward.
- (adv.) Perversely; in wrong way.