An excessive or inordinate need of gain greediness for wealth covetousness cupidity
- severe greed for material wealth
- reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire to have wealth (personified among the lethal sins)
- An excessive or inordinate desire of gain; greediness after wide range; covetousness; cupidity.
- An inordinate desire to have some supposed good.
c.1300, from Old French avarice "greed, covetousness" (12c.), from Latin avaritia "greed," from avarus "greedy," adjectival kind of avere "crave, long for."
(n.) An excessive or inordinate need of gain; greediness after wealth; covetousness; cupidity.
- (letter.) An inordinate desire to have some supposed good.
Such successes removed the buccaneers further and further from the pale of civilized society, fed their revenge, and inspired them with an avarice almost equal to that of the original settlers from Spain.