Independent in government having the right or energy of self government
- (of political systems) perhaps not controlled by outside causes
- present as an independent entity
- (of people) free from external control and constraint in e.g. activity and judgment
- Independent in federal government; getting the right or power of self-government.
- Having separate existence or laws and regulations.
1800, from Greek autonomos "having an individual's own legislation," of animals, "feeding or varying at might," from autos "self" (see auto-) + nomos "law" (see numismatics). Compare privilege. Pre-owned mostly in metaphysics and politics; see autonomic.
(a.) Independent in government; having the right or power of self-government.
- (a.) Having separate presence or legislation.
God, they hold, is the sole creator and ruler -of the world; yet man is free, autonomous - God is not responsible for men's faults (Ecclus.