The quality or condition of being an author purpose or dignity of an author
- the act of creating written works
- the act of starting a brand new concept or principle or writing
- the product quality or condition of being an author; purpose or dignity of an author.
- supply; source; origination; as, the authorship of a book or analysis, or of a work, or situation.
c.1500, "the function of being a writer," from writer (n.) + -ship. Indicating "literary origin" is attested from 1825.
(letter.) The standard or state of being an author; function or dignity of an author.
- (letter.) Origin; source; origination; because, the authorship of a novel or review, or of an act, or situation.
These liturgical notes make extremely probable the supposition that the poem has been taken from some collection like that of our present book of Psalms, probably on the ground of the authorship asserted by the superscription there attached to it.