The art or rehearse of foretelling activities by observing what of wild birds etc divination
- a meeting which experienced as showing important things ahead
- The art or practice of foretelling activities by watching the actions of wild birds, etc.; divination.
- An omen; prediction; prognostication; indication of future; presage.
- A rite, service, or observance of an augur.
belated 14c., "divination through the journey of wild birds," from Old French augure "divination, soothsaying, sorcery, enchantment," or straight from Latin augurium "divination, the observation and interpretation of omens" (see augur). Figurative feeling of "omen, portent, indicator" is from 1797 (additionally frequently in plural as auguries).
(letter.) The art or rehearse of foretelling occasions by watching those things of wild birds, etc.; divination.
- (letter.) An omen; prediction; prognostication; indication of the future; presage.
- (letter.) A rite, service, or observation of an augur.
On the other hand, as the result in part of the theory of Stoicism, religion passed into the hands of the politicians: cults were encouraged or suppressed from political motives, the membership of the colleges of pontifices and augurs, now conferred by popular vote, was sought for its social and political advantages, and augury was debased till it became the meanest tool of the politician.