Enormous wickedness severe heinousness or cruelty
- the grade of becoming shockingly cruel and inhumane
- an act of atrocious cruelty
- Enormous wickedness; severe heinousness or cruelty.
- An atrocious or exceedingly harsh deed.
1530s, from Middle French atrocit
(n.) massive wickedness; extreme heinousness or cruelty.
- (n.) An atrocious or acutely cruel deed.
Commissioned, along with Barras in 1793, to establish the authority of the convention at Marseilles and Toulon, he distinguished himself in the atrocity of his reprisals, but both afterwards joined the Thermidoriens, and Freron became the leader of the jeunesse doree and of the Thermidorian reaction.