Across especially in an oblique direction sidewise obliquely
- Across from side to side of
- at right sides to the center line of a ship
- at an oblique position
- Across; laterally of.
- Across the way or length of; as, a fleet standing athwart our training course.
- around, particularly in an oblique direction; sidewise; obliquely.
- over the program; in order to thwart; perversely.
belated 15c., from a- (1) + thwart.
(prep.) Around; back and forth of.
- (prep.) Over the way or course of; as, a fleet standing athwart our training course.
- (adv.) Around, especially in an oblique path; sidewise; obliquely.
- (adv.) Across the course; so as to thwart; perversely.
On that very meadow he had ridden over the day before, a soldier was lying athwart the rows of scented hay, with his head thrown awkwardly back and his shako off.