Act of assorting or distributing into sorts kinds or courses
- a group containing many different kinds of things
- the act of circulating things into courses or categories of equivalent kind
- Act of assorting, or distributing into sorts, types, or courses.
- A collection or amount of things distributed into kinds or kinds; many things assorted.
- a group containing multiple types or types adjusted to different wishes, needs, or reasons; because, selection of products.
1610s, "action of assorting," from assort + -ment. Sense of "group of things of the identical sort" is attested from 1759; that "group of things if the exact same type or otherwise not" from 1791.
(n.) Act of assorting, or dispersing into sorts, types, or courses.
- (letter.) A collection or number of things distributed into sorts or sorts; some things assorted.
- (n.) An assortment containing many different sorts or types modified to different wishes, needs, or functions; because, selection of items.
Any new happening outside the mundane assortment of drug cases, burglaries, domestic disturbances or a semi-annual Saturday night passion killing came as a welcome change.