To consent to be in conformity becoming adjusted to suit to-fall into a class or destination
- to separate your lives and distribute into classes as things of a like sort nature or high quality or which properly suit a like purpose to classify concerning assort items hardly ever put on individuals
- keep company with; go out with
- arrange or order by classes or categories
- To separate and circulate into classes, as things of a like sort, nature, or high quality, or which suit a like function; to classify; since, to assort products. [Rarely put on individuals.]
- To furnish with, or make up of, various sorts or a number of items; because, to assort a cargo.
- To concur; to stay in accordance; becoming adjusted; to match; to-fall into a class or spot.
late 15c., "to circulate into teams," from Middle French assortir (15c.), from Old French assorter "to assort, match," from a- "to" (see ad-) + sorte "kind" (see kind). Associated: various; assorting.
(v. t.) To split up and distribute into courses, as things of a like kind, nature, or high quality, or which suit a like purpose; to classify; because, to assort items. [Rarely put on individuals.]
- (v. t.) To provide with, or make-up of, numerous kinds or multiple products; as, to assort a cargo.
- (v. i.) To agree; to stay in accordance; become adapted; to match; to-fall into a class or location.