Partaking associated with the nature of water or abounding with-it watery
- like or containing or mixed in water
- from the action of liquid
- Partaking regarding the nature of water, or abounding with it; watery.
- created from, or through, liquid.
1640s, from Latin aqua "water" (see aqua-) on analogy of French aqueux "watery" (16c., which, but is from Late Latin aquosus "abounding in liquid"). Or by analogy of Latin terreus "earthy," from terra "earth." Aqueous laughter could be the original used in English.
(a.) Partaking of this nature of water, or abounding with-it; watery.
- (a.) Made from, or in the shape of, liquid.
The fat is then drawn off the aqueous (gluey) layer, and strained through sieves or filters.