The act of applying application
- a tool or control that is very useful for a specific job
- durable goods for home or office usage
- The work of applying; application; [Obs.] subservience.
- The thing applied or used as a means to an end; an equipment or device; as, to utilize different appliances; a mechanical appliance; a device using its devices.
1560s, "activity of placing into usage," from apply + -ance. Meaning "instrument, thing requested an objective" is from 1590s.
(letter.) The act of applying; application; [Obs.] subservience.
- (n.) The fact used or utilized as a method to a conclusion; an apparatus or device; because, to make use of numerous appliances; a mechanical appliance; a machine featuring its appliances.
The eye end presents an refractor appearance too complicated to be figured here; it has a micrometer and its illumination for the position circle, a micrometer head, and a bright or dark field, clamps in right ascension and declination and quick and slow motion in the same, a finder, microscopes for reading the hour and declination circles, an illuminated dial showing sidereal time and driven by an electric current from the sidereal clock, and counter weights which can be removed when a spectroscope or other heavy appliance is added.