Opposing in combat combating contending or acting against as antagonistic forces
- indicating resistance or opposition
- used especially of medications or muscle tissue that counteract or neutralize both's result
- arousing animosity or hostility
- described as antagonism or antipathy
- not capable of harmonious association
- Alt. of Antagonistical
becoming antagonistic is opposing progress or being unfavorable and possibly becoming hostile.
1630s, from antagonist + -ic. Associated: Antagonistical (1620s); antagonistically.
(a.) Alt. of Antagonistical
Although the policy of Wurttemberg had continued antagonistic to Prussia, the country shared in the national enthusiasm which swept over Germany, and its troops took a creditable part in the battle of Worth and in other operations of the war.