- To smear or rub over with oil or an unctuous substance also to spread over as oil
- choose by or like by divine input
- administer an oil or cream to; often in a religious service of true blessing
- To smear or scrub over with oil or an unctuous substance; in addition, to spread-over, as oil.
- to make use of oil to or even put oil upon, etc., as a sacredu000du000a rite, particularly for consecration.
to distribute seminal fluid. some interpretations of hebrew cause this because the true-meaning of the" anointed one".
c.1300 (suggested in anointing), from Old French enoint "smeared on," previous participle of enoindre "smear on," from Latin inunguere "to anoint," from in- "on" + unguere "to smear" (see unguent). Initially in mention of the grease or oil smeared on for medicinal reasons; its use in the Coverdale Bible in mention of Christ (as in god's Anointed; see chrism) has actually spiritualized the phrase. Associated: Anointed; anointing.
(v. t.) To smear or scrub over with oil or an unctuous material; also, to spread-over, as oil.
- (v. t.) To use oil to or even to pour oil upon, etc., as a sacred rite, especially for consecration.
- (p. p.) Anointed.
A fast during which it is lawful to work, and also to wash and anoint the person.