Bewilderment due to fear shock or question amazement
- become astounded
- To bewilder to stupefy to carry into a maze
- affect with wonder
- be a mystery or bewildering to
- To bewilder; to stupefy; to create into a maze.
- To confound, as by concern, wonder, extreme surprise; to overwhelm with question; to astound; to astonish significantly.
- To be astounded.
- Bewilderment, due to anxiety, shock, or question; amazement.
early 13c., amasian "stupefy, make crazy," from a-, probably used right here as an intensive prefix, + -masian, about maze (q.v.). Sense of "overwhelm with wonder" is from 1580s. Relevant: Amazed; amazing.
(v. t.) To bewilder; to stupefy; to carry into a maze.
- (v. t.) To confound, as by anxiety, question, severe surprise; to overwhelm with question; to astound; to astonish greatly.
- (v. i.) to-be astounded.
- (v. t.) Bewilderment, arising from anxiety, surprise, or wonder; amazement.
He would amaze a drawing-room by suddenly ejaculating a clause of the Lord's Prayer.