Above in addition to
- On full of the atmosphere large over the floor
- at or on or even to the masthead or top rigging of a ship
- at or even great level; high-up in or into the air
- inside higher atmosphere above the earth
- On high; in the air; large above the floor.
- when you look at the top; in the mast-head, or regarding higher yards or rigging; expense; therefore (Fig. and Colloq.), in or even paradise.
- Above; along with.
c.1200, from a Scandinavian supply including Old Norse a lopti "up above," virtually "up floating around," from a "in, on" + lopt "sky, atmosphere, atmosphere; loft, upper space" (cognates: Gothic luftus, Old High German luft, Old English lyft "air;" see loft).
(adv.) On high; floating around; large over the ground.
- (adv.) When you look at the top; at mast-head, or on higher yards or rigging; expense; hence (Fig. and Colloq.), in or to heaven.
- (prep.) Preceding; above.
I won't smoke dirty pipes like Stubb, but I like cigars, and here's nine hundred and sixty of them; so here goes Flask aloft to spy 'em out.