The act or procedure for affording nutriment the function regarding the alimentary canal
- a supply of materials to nourish your body
- the work of supplying meals and nutrition
- The work or procedure of affording nutriment; the purpose of the alimentary canal.
- State or mode of being nourished.
(letter.) The work or procedure of affording nutriment; the big event of alimentary canal.
- (letter.) Condition or mode of being nourished.
The function of alimentation is closely associated with that of locomotion, somewhat as in the burrowing earthworm; in the excavation of its burrows the sand is passed through the body, and any nutrient matter that may adhere to it is extracted during its passage through the intestine, the exhausted sand being finally ejected through the vent at the orifice of the burrow and appearing at low tide as a worm casting.