A recessed part of a space or a small room opening into a more substantial one specifically a recess to consist of a bed a lateral recess in a library
- a little recess starting off a bigger area
- A recessed portion of a room, or a tiny space opening intou000du000a a more substantial one; specifically, a recess to consist of a bed; a lateral recessu000du000a in a library.
- a tiny ornamental building with chairs, or an arched seat, in a pleasure surface; a garden bower.
- Any normal recess analogous to an alcove or recess in an apartment.
1670s, "vaulted recess," from French alc
(letter.) A recessed percentage of a room, or a small room opening into a bigger one; specifically, a recess to contain a bed; a lateral recess in a library.
- (n.) A little decorative building with seats, or an arched chair, in a pleasure ground; a garden bower.
- (letter.) Any natural recess analogous to an alcove or recess in a condo.
The inro (medicine-box), which it mainly served to fix in the girdle, has been driven out of fashion by the new civilization imported from the West, and artists who would have carved netsuke in former times now devote their chisels to statuettes and alcove ornaments.