regarding or having wings
- having or resembling wings
- of or concerning the axil
- a chemical sprayed on good fresh fruit woods to manage their particular development so the entire crop can be gathered at once
- regarding, or having, wings.
- Axillary; within the hand or axil.
"wing-like," c.1840; "of or regarding wings," 1847, from Latin alaris, from ala "wing, armpit, wing of an army" (way to obtain Spanish ala, French aile), from *axla, initially "joint for the wing or supply;" from PIE *aks- (view axis).
(a.) Pertaining to, or having, wings.
- (a.) Axillary; in the fork or axil.
In addition to an enormous body of new information chiefly on the shoulder girdle, the alar muscles and the nerve plexuses of birds, this work contained a critical and descriptive summary of practically the whole pre-existing literature on the structure of birds, and it is hardly necessary for the student of ornithology to refer to earlier literature at first hand.