Before in most its senses
- in fore-part of a vessel.
- Before (in all its senses).
- Before; before; further forward than; as, afore the windlass.
Old English onforan "before, at the start of, in front of," from phrase on foran, from on (prep.) + foran (adv.) "in front," dative of for. In many cases most likely it presents Old English
- (adv.) Inside fore part of a vessel.
- (prep.) Before (throughout its sensory faculties).
- (prep.) Before; facing; farther ahead than; as, afore the windlass.
Why, afore we give it up, Sal used to put our Sam and little Johnny in the foot of it.