circumstances of being familiarized or of experiencing intimate or even more than small or shallow understanding personal knowledge gained by sex lacking that of relationship or closeness when I know the guy but haven't any friend with him
- a relationship less intimate than friendship
- people with whom you tend to be acquainted
- personal knowledge or information regarding somebody or something like that
- circumstances to be acquainted, or of having intimate, or maybe more than minor or trivial, knowledge; private knowledge attained by sex in short supply of compared to friendship or closeness; as, I know the guy; but don't have any friend with him.
- people or people with whom one is acquainted.
c.1300, "state of being familiarized;" late 14c., "person with whom one is acquainted;" additionally "personal understanding;" from Old French acointance "acquaintance, friendship, familiarity," noun of action from acointer (see acquaint). Acquaintant (17c.), would-have-been much better into the "person known" good sense it is today obsolete.
(letter.) A situation of being familiarized, or of having personal, or more than small or superficial, knowledge; individual knowledge gained by sexual intercourse lacking compared to relationship or closeness; as, I know the guy; but haven't any acquaintance with him.
- (letter.) You or persons with whom a person is familiarized.
Cassiodorus, magister ofiiciorum under Theodoric and the intimate acquaintance of the philosopher, employs language equally strong, and Ennodius, the bishop of Pavia, knows no bounds for his admiration.