a person who abstains
- Refraining from indulgence specially through the indulgence of desire for food abstemious continent temperate
- a person who refrains from consuming intoxicating beverages
- self-restraining; maybe not indulging an appetite particularly for meals or drink
- Refraining from indulgence, particularly from indulgence of desire for food; abstemious; continent; temperate.
- a person who abstains.
- among a sect whom starred in France and Spain into the 3d century.
belated 14c., from Old French abstinent (previously astenant) "moderate, abstemious, modest," from Latin abstinentem (nominative abstinens) "temperate, modest," current participle of abstinere "to refrain from" (see abstain).
- teetotaling [Am.]
(a.) Refraining from indulgence, especially from the indulgence of appetite; abstemious; continent; temperate.
- (n.) A person who abstains.
- (n.) Certainly one of a sect just who starred in France and Spain when you look at the 3d century.