Of or pertaining to Buddha Buddhism or the Buddhists
- a person who takes the teachings of Buddhism
- of or concerning or promoting Buddhism
- person who uses the teachings of Buddha
- a person who accepts the teachings of Buddhism.
- Of or related to Buddha, Buddhism, or the Buddhists.
1810, from Buddha + -ist. A youthful term in this feeling was a direct borrowing from the bank of Sanskrit Bauddha "follower of Buddha" (1801 in English), hence very early erroneous hybrid compounds particularly Boudhist, Bauddhist.
(n.) A person who takes the teachings of Buddhism.
- (a.) Of or regarding Buddha, Buddhism, and/or Buddhists.
The Buddhist sculptors, however, tended to grow more conventional and the metal-workers more naturalistic as the 18th century began to wane.