An inhabitant of Babylonia including Chaldea a Chaldean
- Of or regarding the real or to the mystical Babylon or to the old kingdom of Babylonia Chaldean
- an inhabitant of ancient Babylon
- of or regarding the town of Babylon or its people or culture
- the ideographic and syllabic writing system where old Babylonian language had been written
- Of or with respect to the true or to the mystical Babylon, or to the ancient kingdom of Babylonia; Chaldean.
- An inhabitant of Babylonia (including Chaldea); a Chaldean.
- An astrologer; -- so named because Chaldeans were remarkable the study of astrology.
1560s; see Babylon + -ian. From 1630s as an adjective. Earlier within the adjectival good sense was Babylonical (1530s).
(a.) Of or regarding the real or to the mystical Babylon, or even to the old kingdom of Babylonia; Chaldean.
- (n.) An inhabitant of Babylonia (which included Chaldea); a Chaldean.
- (letter.) An astrologer; -- so-called since the Chaldeans were remarkable for the study of astrology.
Until, therefore, through parallel passages or through explanatory lists prepared by the Babylonian and Assyrian scribes in large numbers as an aid for the study of the language, 5 the exact phonetic reading of these divine names was determined, scholars remained in doubt or had recourse to conjectural or provisional readings.