To procure females for lewd reasons
- someone who keeps a home of prostitution or procures females for a lewd function a procurer or procuress a lewd individual generally applied to a woman
- a woman just who partcipates in intercourse for money
- someone who keeps a property of prostitution, or procures females for a lewd function; a procurer or procuress; a lewd individual; -- generally applied to a woman.
- To procure ladies for lewd purposes.
one that procures opportunities for people of opposite sexes to cohabit in an illicit manner; just who might, while exercising the trade of a bawd, perfectly innocent of committing in the or her own appropriate individual the crime either of adultery or of fornication. See Dyer v. Morris, 4 Mo. 216.
a complicated word of unsure record. First attested late 15c., "lewd person" (of either sex; since c.1700 applied simply to females), probably from baude-strote "procurer of prostitutes" (mid-14c.), which can be from Middle English bawde (adj.) "merry, joyous," from Old French baud "gay, licentious" (from Frankish *bald "bold" or some these types of Germanic supply). It could never be the first time a word meaning "joyous" had taken on a sexual feeling. The feeling advancement shading from "bold" to "lewd" is not hard; compare Old French baudise "ardor, delight, elation, act of boldness, presumption;" baudie "elation, large spirits," fole baudie "bawdry, shamelessness." The Old French term is the foundation of French baudet "donkey," in Picardy dialect "loose girl." The 2nd take into account baude-strote would be trot "one who operates errands," or Germanic *strutt (see strut). But OED doubts all of this. There is an Old French baudestrote, baudetrot of the same meaning (13c.), and this may be the direct source of center English baude-strote. The obsolete term bronstrops "procuress," usually present Middleton's comedies, probably is a modification of baude-strote.
(n.) Someone who keeps a home of prostitution, or procures women for a lewd function; a procurer or procuress; a lewd person; -- often applied to a female.
- (v. i.) To procure females for lewd reasons.