Fertile fruitful effective
- to help make fertile
- To be given arrangements through the buttery
- arrangements ordered from the buttery also the prices for them only within the pl except when used adjectively
- an individual fight as trial by battel See Wager of battel under Wager
- just one combat; as, test by battel. See Wager of battel, under Wager.
- Provisions purchased from buttery; also, the prices for all of them; -- just inside pl., except whenever utilized adjectively.
- become given conditions through the buttery.
- In order to make fertile.
- Fertile; fruitful; productive.
Trial by combat; bet of battel.
(n.) Provisions ordered through the buttery; additionally, the charges for all of them; -- just inside pl., except whenever used adjectively.
- (v. i.) becoming provided with terms from the buttery.
- (v. i.) In order to make fertile.
- (a.) Fertile; fruitful; effective.
From this appears that Battel was familiar with both the chimpanzee and the gorilla, the former of which he terms engeco and the latter pongo - names which ought apparently to be adopted for these two species in place of those now in use.